Centrifugal pumps are mainly used for pumping all types of low viscosity fluids such as water and other liquids at moderate pressure. The pump has an inbuilt impeller which moves the liquid through the pump. They are mainly used in food processing plants, manufacturing plants and water treatment plants. These pumps are available in different materials such as ceramic, plastic and metals.
Problems, Features and Uses
These pumping devices are usually powered by an electrical motor that functions at a high range, but can also be powered by diesel engine. It is one of the most common types of pumps used in most industries.
- Most centrifugal pumps are not self-priming, ( although some pumps fitted with an internal suction stage such as water-jet pumps or side-channel pumps are classified as self-priming pumps).
- It must be full of liquid (primed) before starting.
- Wear and tear of the impeller—can be worsened by suspended solids or cavitation
- Corrosion inside the pump caused by the fluid properties
- Overheating due to low flow
- Leakage along rotating shaft.
- Lack of prime—centrifugal pumps must be filled (with the fluid to be pumped) in order to operate
- Viscous liquids may reduce efficiency
- Other pump types may be more suitable for high pressure applications
- Large solids or debris may clog the pump
Common uses include water, sewage, agriculture, petroleum and petrochemical pumping. Centrifugal pumps are often chosen for their high flow rate capabilities, abrasive solution compatibility, mixing potential, as well as their relatively simple engineering.
The reverse function of the centrifugal pump is a water turbine converting potential energy of water pressure into mechanical rotational energy.
The centrifugal pumps are used for a wide variety of applications which include both domestic and industrial purposes. It is used in featured displays, sprinklers, fountains and various irrigation purposes, they can be used in mixing pumps, drain pumps, automotive coolants, industrial coolants, Jet Ski pumps, fire trucks. There is a wide variety of applications for this versatile pump.
They are also used in homes quite effectively, as water can be lifted from ground levels easily and stored in tanks for future use.
There are different types of pumps. The low to medium pump works for both household and agricultural purposes as it requires less pressure and efficiency. However, it can’t really be used for high pressure projects as it is less efficient. It is less expensive compared to the other types of pumping devices, so it is widely used for domestic and agricultural purposes.
High pressure pumps are used for other purposes such as fire control, irrigation and high pressure washing purposes. These devices are more efficient and expensive.
It is important to choose the right type of pump for the right application. The amount of pressure and the type of material to be pumped, the volume of the pump and the liquid discharge pressure should be considered, as these devices can be used for pumping various other liquids such as oils, chemicals and fertilizers.
As these pumping devices involve less maintenance, it can be used for various purposes and are very cost effective. If you are looking to install a centrifugal pump, we can help to give you the right information to suit your application, that in the long run will save you time, money and downtime.
Yours in Pumps